Dabble is just getting started. There is so much we want to do for you. We are only limited by our resources. The faster we grow, the faster we release beautiful features that will help you craft amazing experiences for your readers. You can help us grow by sharing about Dabble on your social networks, writing groups, and with friends and family.
The game plan.
Two big features and several smaller ones.
There are 2 large features we will focus on this year, cloud sync v2 and mobile support. We don’t want to make you wait long for updates, so while we are working on these larger features, we will tackle smaller features in parallel.
There are plenty of things to keep us busy for years. It is a matter of prioritization. See the feature requests at dabble.featureupvote.com, submit your own, and vote on those that matter most to you.
These have all been completed in just a few months (Sep-Nov).
- Dabble Account and cloud storage
- Browser version
- Plotting tool
- Export to Word
- Word counts
- NaNoWriMo word tracker
- Export to text file
- Prologues and epilogues
- Novel subtitles
Coming up next.
Will will work on the big 2, Cloud v2 and Mobile, one after the other. While we are doing that, we will take time to add other featues to Dabble as well.
Cloud Sync v2.
Cloud sync version 2 uses a different model than v1. Sync v1 saves the entire document (scene, file, etc.) on every change. We throttle saves to 30 seconds so your bandwidth and computer isn’t overloaded. Sync v2 saves each little change as a small instruction (for those whoeare technical, see Operational Transformation) and will provide many benefits, enabling the following:
- save as you type, instead of every 30 seconds
- intelligently merge changes instead of overwriting
- provide versioning so you can see the state of your project at any point in the past
- be able to "roll back" a scene or document to a previous version
- allow for collaborative editing and co-authoring
- provide efficiency needed for mobile
Note: these features will be enabled by sync v2, not launched with it. Except for the first two items, they will come later.
We were honestly surprised by how many requests we had for mobile. We need to redesign the interface to work well on small screens as well as make it more memory, bandwidth, and CPU efficient. Sync v2 is part of this efficiency.
Other Features, in order of when we would likely complete them.
- Spelling & Grammar checking
- Find and replace
- Images in story notes
- Font themes
- Zoom (size of page and font for readability)
- Editing markup (strike through, highlights, etc)
- Others from the large pile of features below.
On the distant horizon.
Some of these may be sooner. Some will be a long time in coming. Some may never happen. All of them we wish we could build tomorrow. Note: we are dedicated to keeping Dabble simple and will work hard to maintain this as we add new features.
- Novel front cover
- Character pictures
- Story note pictures on locations
- Join and split scenes
- Easier file/folder creation
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Right-click menu options
- Better plot management
- Let Select All actually select all
- Better onboarding helpers and documentation
- Copy-paste files and folders (and plot cards) from one place/project to another
- Undo everywhere, plot, navigation (delete or drag-drop), etc.
- Ultra-focus mode, like ilys.
- Formatting options and other preferences
- Change indentation preferences in novel and story notes
- Theme your novel with a different fonts
- Provide more formatting options for songs/poetry in the novel
- Allow quotes etc in a Parts page
- Night mode
- Zoom page/text for large or small monitors
- Turn off auto-focus
- Toggle to always view whole book, click scrolls to scene
- Hide a sidebar or both
- Character tools
- Character profile
- Character interviews
- Character cast management
- Translate interface into other languages
- Plot tools
- Coloring and/or labeling plot cards
- Add story sections (e.g. Act I, II, and III)
- Easily change between tracking scenes and not
- Multi-select cards and other productivity improvements
- Backup and versioning
- Store daily backup offsite from databases
- View project at a given point in time (like Apple’s Time Machine)
- Restore a deleted file
- Restore a version of a file (opt as a new file)
- Drag a project, file, or folder to/from the desktop for saving/restoring
- From MS Word
- From Google Docs
- From Scrivener
- Copy-paste files and folders between Scrivener and Dabble
- Provide formatting options
- eBook formats
- Auto-backup to Google docs
- Wattpad submission
- Kindle store (and other self-publishing) submission
- Editing tools
- Inline comments
- Text markup (mark to delete, fix, etc)
- Sticky notes
- Relationships between items
- Define the relationship between 2 characters
- Set the location of a scene
- Link a magic form to the characters that perform it
- Clickable links between pages for easy exploring of world building
- Putting scenes or chapters online for friends to view
- Getting beta readers feedback
- Writer-editor workflow, let editor make changes and comments, writer choosed which to keep
- Writing a book with another author
- Working on a scene together with someone remote
- Statistics and metrics
- Show information about when you write most
- Show max written words in a day
- Allow word-count contests with friends
- Book smarts
- Hover cards with info on characters, items, and locations in text
- Click on hover card to go to character, item, location page
- Intelligent charater renaming (including nicknames)
- Dialog edit pass per-character, hone in on one character voice at a time
- Intelligently show which scenes a character (or other thing) appears in
- Writing workbook project type
- Give you writing prompts and other exercises
- Write scenes you don’t have a story for
- Educational version
- Student peer reviews on writing
- Submission to teacher and review/feedback
- Educational pricing
- Social (opt-in)
- Add other writing friends
- Have writing contests with friends
- Post word count with friends
- See friends progress