Learn about our tentative roadmap.
There are plenty of things to keep us busy for years. It is a matter of prioritization. See the feature requests at dabble.featureupvote.com, submit your own, and vote on those that matter most to you.
Enjoy these complete features.
These have all been completed since launch.
- Dabble Account and cloud storage
- Browser version
- Plotting tool
- Export to Word
- Word counts
- NaNoWriMo word tracker
- Export to text file
- Prologues and epilogues
- Novel subtitles
- Cloud Sync v2
- Dark Theme
- Autofocus Disabling
- Store daily backup offsite from databases
Get excited about the horizon.
While we are working on Mobile, we will take time to add other features to Dabble as well.
We were honestly surprised by how many requests we had for mobile. We need to redesign the interface to work well on small screens as well as make it more memory, bandwidth, and CPU efficient. Sync v2 is part of this efficiency.
Other Features, in order of when we would likely complete them.
- Find and replace
- Spelling & Grammar checking
- Images in story notes
- Font themes
- Zoom (size of page and font for readability)
- Editing markup (strike through, highlights, etc)
- Others from the large pile of features below.
On the distant horizon.
Some of these may be sooner. Some will be a long time in coming. Some may never happen. All of them we wish we could build tomorrow. Note: we are dedicated to keeping Dabble simple and will work hard to maintain this as we add new features.
- Novel front cover
- Character pictures
- Story note pictures on locations
- Join and split scenes
- Easier file/folder creation
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Right-click menu options
- Better plot management
- Let Select All actually select all
- Better on-boarding helpers and documentation
- Copy-paste files and folders (and plot cards) from one place/project to another
- Undo everywhere, plot, navigation (delete or drag-drop), etc.
- Ultra-focus mode, like ilys.
Formatting options and other preferences
- Change indentation preferences in novel and story notes
- Theme your novel with a different fonts
- Provide more formatting options for songs/poetry in the novel
- Allow quotes etc in a Parts page
- Zoom page/text for large or small monitors
- Toggle to always view whole book, click scrolls to scene
- Hide a sidebar or both
- Character profile
- Character interviews
- Character cast management
Translate interface into other languages
- Coloring and/or labeling plot cards
- Add story sections (e.g. Act I, II, and III)
- Easily change between tracking scenes and not
- Multi-select cards and other productivity improvements
Backup and versioning
- View project at a given point in time (like Apple’s Time Machine)
- Restore a deleted file
- Restore a version of a file (opt as a new file)
- Drag a project, file, or folder to/from the desktop for saving/restoring
- From MS Word
- From Google Docs
- From Scrivener
- Copy-paste files and folders between Scrivener and Dabble
- Provide formatting options
- eBook formats
- Auto-backup to Google docs
- Wattpad submission
- Kindle store (and other self-publishing) submission
- Inline comments
- Text markup (mark to delete, fix, etc)
- Sticky notes
Relationships between items
- Define the relationship between 2 characters
- Set the location of a scene
- Link a magic form to the characters that perform it
- Clickable links between pages for easy exploring of world building
- Putting scenes or chapters online for friends to view
- Getting beta readers feedback
- Writer-editor workflow, let editor make changes and comments, writer chooses which to keep
- Writing a book with another author
- Working on a scene together with someone remote
Statistics and metrics
- Show information about when you write most
- Show max written words in a day
- Allow word-count contests with friends
- Hover cards with info on characters, items, and locations in text
- Click on hover card to go to character, item, location page
- Intelligent character renaming (including nicknames)
- Dialog edit pass per-character, hone in on one character voice at a time
- Intelligently show which scenes a character (or other thing) appears in
Writing workbook project
- Give you writing prompts and other exercises
- Write scenes you don’t have a story for
- Student peer reviews on writing
- Submission to teacher and review/feedback
- Bulk educational pricing
Social (opt-in of course)
- Add other writing friends
- Have writing contests with friends
- Post word count with friends
- See friends progress